Re: LilyPond - TeX

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond - TeX
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:28:17 +0200 (CEST)

>> How does LilyPond create the ps/pdf output?

It directly creates PS output which is then converted by ghostscript
to PDF.

>> Does it use TeX in any way as a backend?

This has been the case a few years ago, however, it has been
abandonded since we meanwhile need direct access to the fonts.  Using
TeX as the text formatting engine (this is, LilyPond exports text
strings into a file, this is processed by TeX, then reread by
LilyPond) has been contemplated upon but eventually removed for (a)
lack of interest and (b) additional complexity.

    Werner