Re: Voice solely for formatting?

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: Voice solely for formatting?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:36:51 +0200

On Oct 27, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Christopher Meredith wrote:

> Somewhere in my travels, I saw a LilyPond source file in which the author had
> created a voice that contained only formatting directives and no notes, so
> that the other voices would contain only notes and no formatting directives.
> This "technical" voice contained all the staff markup, dynamics, tempo
> changes, etc. I remember seeing that and thinking it was a good idea.
>
> Now I'd like to implement it but I can't remember how it was accomplished or
> where I saw it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is this a
> recommended practice?
>
> Thanks!
Do you mean:
\version "2.12.3"

music = \relative c' { c d e f g f e d c1 }
markups = { s1^\markup \italic { with salmon } s2 s^\markup \italic { without
salmon } }
dynamics = { s1\mf\< s\> s\sfz }
keysig = { \key e \minor }
timesig = { \time 4/4 s1 \time 2/2 s1 \time 8/8 s1 \bar "||" }

{ \new Staff << \music \markups \dynamics \keysig \timesig >> }

I do this all the time. And I find it really useful.