Re: how to position \tempo in a non-top staff

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: how to position \tempo in a non-top staff
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:57:58 +0100

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>  \relative <<
>    \new Staff { d1 }
>    \new Staff { \tempo "foo" d1 }

\new Staff \with{ \consists ... }
, I assume?  You only want to display the metronome mark in this staff, right?

> Regardless of the location of \tempo, the tempo indication is put on
> top of the system.

That's because \tempo is a score-wide thing; moving the engraver only
changes the output, not the general music definition.

> What must I do to position a tempo mark on a specific staff?

You might prefer to use a StaffGroup and add the tempo engraver to
that, instead of fiddling with individual staves.  That's certainly
what I'd do in a full orchestra score, if you want to display the
tempo above the woodwinds, brass, and strings.

Cheers,
- Graham