Re: problem with associatedVoice

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: problem with associatedVoice
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:14:03 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:57 AM

The \set associatedVoice command has to be inserted one syllable
earlier than the one to which it applies (see Automatic syllable
durations in section 2.1.1 in the Notation Reference to 2.13.36).
But in this case it would need to go right at the beginning of the
Italian lyrics, and that would not work.

??? I *have* positioned `\set associatedVoice' at the proper place in my example (this is, one syllable earlier), and the effect shouldn't
start with the first Italian syllable but the second (i.e, `zar').

Yes, and one syllable earlier than "zar" is "Sfor", so the
\set assoicatedVoice should go before "Sfor", which is the
first syllable, and there is the problem.  The setting of
associatedVoice does not affect the immediately following
syllable but the one after that.  (It is not sensible, I
agree, but that's what it does and that's what the
documentation says it does.)

Actually, I don't think associatedVoice is the best way to do this.
All you need to do is to indicate a melisma in the Italian lyrics
with an underscore and set them to the German music:

  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "german" {
    Sfor -- zar _ la fi -- glia, ed am -- maz -- zar il
  }

This is not what you can find in bilingual vocal scores. Actually, it's completely wrong since you have a *single* note while a melisma
indicates more than a single note.

Fair enough, use a dummy syllable then - " ".  Which
you choose depends on whether you want the syllable to
be left- or centre-aligned.  In your scanned score I
see "zar" is left-aligned, so I'd definitely use an
underscore.

I've simplified the example;
attached you can find how it should look like, and how you can find it in a vocal score of `Don Giovanni', second scene. If associatedVoice
works as advertised, it's *exactly* the right thing to use IMHO.

Perhaps you could file a bug that setting associatedVoice
can't be used when the switch should take place at the
second syllable.

Trevor