how-to break lines before grace notes

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: how-to break lines before grace notes
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:27:39 -0700

I hesitate to admit this, but when I noticed that explicit line-breaks before grace notes
were failing with "should you be using bar checks?", I searched the mailing
list archives more thoroughly than I searched the manual.  The archives had nothing
helpful, so I made up a solution . . . which seemed somehow familiar.

The friendly advice about grace notes and bar lines, applies to line breaks as
well :
Notation Reference 1.2.6 Special rhythmic concerns - Grace notes, Acciaccatura,
Appoggiatura
"Staff notation . . . are also synchronized [to grace notes].  Take care when you
mix staves with grace notes and staves without . . .  This can be remedied by inserting
grace skips of the corresponding durations in the other staves. "

 Either put the \break s in the staff with the grace notes, or put a
synchronizing spacer grace in the voice with the \break s.

\relative c''{
<< \new Staff { e1        \grace c16 d1 }
   \new Staff { s1 \break \grace s16 s1 }