Re: Parallel dynamics, markup, sponsor, etc.

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: Parallel dynamics, markup, sponsor, etc.
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:03:38 -0700

LilyPond where one could add a tag to certain dynamics to make them
parallel: e.g.

a'\p?var1 c' d' b'\mf?var1 f'\markup{asdf}?var1 d''2\<?var2 e''4\!
c''\>?var2 b'\!

James wrote:
If I understand correctly, is this similar to the (rather hackish, imo) lsr
snippet?  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=450

I don't think so. What I mean is with multiple notes so that the dynamics
above each note (not the same note) are the same height above the staff.

Cordilow,
  I strongly encourage you to try that snippet.
Lilypond already places the dynamics above different notes at the same height above the staff,
unless the notes push the dynamics "too far" from the staff.  The snippet shows how to
choose how far is "too far" by adjusting #'staff-padding in units of staff-spaces. (I
think James was joking to call this 'hackish'.)

  Something close to the tagging concept that you mention already exists.  Any group of
dynamics that are immediately consecutive in time are placed as a group at the same
height.  The "asdf" in your example can be put in a dynamic mark, and you can
fill in any gaps in time with an invisible crescendo (which would be hackish).  Try this :

\paper {ragged-right=##t}
asdf = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:normal-text "asdf"))

% let the next crescendo be invisible, just to "tie Dynamics"
tD = { \once \override Hairpin #'stencil = ##f }

{ \dynamicUp % because you said 'above' the notes
  \tD a'4\p\< c' d' \tD b'\mf\< f'\asdf
  d''2\< \tD e''4\!\< c''\> b'\! r2
  \break
  \override DynamicLineSpanner #'staff-padding = #4
  a'4\p c' d' b'\mf f'\asdf
}

Some people like to put all dynamics at exactly the same height:
<http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=357>