Re: chord with notes of different duration

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: chord with notes of different duration
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:27:53 +0200

> Hi Antheo,
>
>> so it seems that chords noted <> does not allow to set individual duration
>> but << >>  allows it?
>
> Be sure to read the documentation carefully:
>     <> is a chord structure.
>     <<>> is not a chord structure.
>
>> That seems the best solution.
>
> Not as far as I can see.
>
>> Is there a way to have this patch make it into the next version?
>
> I highly doubt it.

Well, << >> is for parallel music without creating a separate voice (and
separate stems), and chords executed in that manner would appear to fall
straight in that category.  The code already _does_ the right thing.  It
just complains.

So what's the actual problem?  What is particularly wrong about that
sort of patch?

I mean, it would be nice to have a contextlet "chordconstituent" that
does not have a stem engraver, and let < > channel into such
chordconstituents, and offer some other mechanism to funnel into that as
well, but...

Subvoices have been killed already.

> More likely, the <> construct would be changed to allow for mixed
> durations, with the greatest duration being the "winner" -- but even
> this has its pitfalls, so I doubt this will happen either.

Chords take their lengths outside.

--
David Kastrup