Re: Ottava repeats

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Ottava repeats
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:06:15 +0200

On 13 Oct 2010, at 18:54, James wrote:

Suppose a repeat might/should be played one octave higher, is there a
way to notate it without expanding it?

The French composer (?) Yann Tiersen does this quite a lot with his music and he just places the ottava bracket all along the whole repeated section but writes it in the lower range first.

This confuses me: where does the ottava bracket start, if it is written in the lower range first?

He doesn't even bother as far as I can see in the limited scores I have seen, to tell the player to play it 'normal' first and then 'an octave higher' the next time round. It is assumed I suppose.

I need it to be clear somehow. But in my example, it is style, so I might skip it altogether.