Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:22:12 +0200

On Oct 11, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 04:32:48PM -0400, James Wilkinson wrote:
>> On 9/23/10 6:00 PM, Vicente Solsona wrote:
>>
>>> if the dynamics are the same, it's better to write them just once. thus
>>> you:
>>>
>>> 1) save typing
>>> 2) help lilypond so it does't need to waste time guessing obvious things
>>> and it can concentrate on the big stuff :)
>>>
>>> you just need to create a third voice with spacers and all the common
>>> marks, in parallel with the other two:
>
> I'm not at all certain that's a good idea.  The dynamics won't be
> present in MIDI (which is probably no great loss), but more
> importantly, it messes up the semantics for no particularly good
> reason.

Maybe I misunderstand, but if I do:
{
 <<
  \relative c' { c4 d e f << { g a g f } \\ { e2 d } >> e4 f e d c1 }
  {s1\mf s4\< s\! s\> s\! s1\p s }

}

The dynamics show up in the MIDI. And if they're separated into variables, I
can change the dynamics and the music independantly and easily, without fuss or
muss.

>> Is there somewhere in the docs that I should have spotted this
>> before doing it wrong the first time?
>
> If this was a good idea, it should be in (in the 2.13 docs)
>  Usage 5 Suggestions for writing files

I extrapolated the idea from that, Using Variables to Save Typing. Or something
like that.