Re: 2.13.11-1: Y-offset for RehearsalMark?

From: Dmytro O. Redchuk
Subject: Re: 2.13.11-1: Y-offset for RehearsalMark?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:42:17 +0200

У нд, 2010-01-24 у 18:27 +0100, Alexander Kobel пише:
> Hi, Dmytro,
>
> correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like the A is actually higher
> than the other two, and has it's baseline exactly 1 staff-space unit
> above the top staff-line.  So I guess the Y-offset is calculated w.r.t.
> the center staff line in 2.13 (Joe: is this a bug?), and you probably
> have to increase the values by 2.
> For what you actually wanted, I recommend you use
> 'outside-staff-padding, though.
Well, it's a pity, i can not use 'outside-staff-padding for what i
actually wanted so far :-)

When Lyrics is above Staff then 2.13.11 raises both \tempo and \mark
"too high", and i need some way to drop them down.

First, short snippet (some lines are commented out, i will turn them on
later, to demonstrate what i really want):

% ------------------8<---------------------------------
%
% Both MetronomeMark and RehearsalMark
% are parts of Score context (accordingly to the doc)
%

melody = \relative c'' {
  % A:
  % \override Score.MetronomeMark #'outside-staff-padding = #-2
  % B:
  % \override Score.MetronomeMark #'Y-offset = #-2
  \tempo "Tempo I"
  c c c c

  % C:
  % \override Score.RehearsalMark #'outside-staff-padding = #-2
  % D:
  % \override Score.RehearsalMark #'Y-offset = #-2
  \mark\default
  c c c c

  c' c c c
}

lyric = \lyricmode {
  \repeat "unfold" 6 { _ }
  \repeat "unfold" 6 { la }
}

<<
  \new Staff = "staff" { \new Voice = "melody" { \melody } }
  \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" } \lyricsto "melody" \lyric

% ------------------8<---------------------------------

Sorry, four images follow :-(13.3kB) total

So, lilypond 2.12 places tempo and mark "correctly" (in quotes, because
i don't know really what is "correctly" ---- everything "from my point
of view" of course), while lilypond 2.13.11 raises both tempo and mark
_because of lyrics_, placing baseline nearly in the middle of lyrics'
height, the result is on the image named "marks--none.png".

Not a problem, i used to use negative 'Y-offset to drop'em down... let's
try both ways...

First of all, i've uncommented lines A and C to set
'outside-staff-padding to some negative value (-2) --- no effect, at all
(marks--padding.png).

Then i've commented them out and uncommented lines B and D to set
'Y-offset to some negative value (-2) --- great! partial success ---
i have mark dropped down but it has no effect on tempo
(marks--offset.png).

Finally i have achieved "good enough" result uncommenting _both A and B
for tempo_ (marks--good-enough.png) --- so having three overrides (A, B
and D) uncommented.

So... I guess it's rather subnormal :-)

So, what is _the proper way_ to drop down marks (MetronomeMark and
RehearsalMark)?

Not both by the same command, but both by a single command would be
great.

--
  Dmytro O. Redchuk