Re: Staff Tab notation support?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Staff Tab notation support?
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:33:53 -0700

On 1/8/10 6:48 PM, "Daniel Quaroni" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello.  Over at at Chapman Stick forum there's a discussion going on about
> ways we can bring Staff Tab notation to people for less than $600.  Staff Tab
> is a modification of traditional music notation adds the string and fret
> positions (and also which finger to use).  This is particularly important for
> the Stick as there the are many fingering options and without this information
> it would be very difficult to read.
>
> I don't particularly relish the idea of writing notation/engraving software
> myself.  The question I have, which may be better directed to the dev list,
> is: Is there the expandability for the file format to support the additional
> information, and likewise how challenging would it be for the engraver to
> support it?
>
> For an example of Staff Tab, check out

http://dovetailcomputing.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/GymnopedieNo1.pd>

I don't know enough about Staff Tab notation to give a really good answer
about this, but I'll do my best.

All of the notation in your example appears to be doable in LilyPond, with
some modifications.

Eric Knapp asked about doing something for Chapman Stick in 2008, but as far
as I know, nothing ever came of it.

I doubt that there are any developers here at LilyPond that will take the
lead in developing Staff Tab notation, but I think you'll find lots of
support if you want some help developing it yourself.

HTH,

Carl