Re: Installing question

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Installing question
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:07:40 +0100

Le Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:23:12 +0000 (UTC),
Howard <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I have downloaded the Installer to my Limux Suse 10.2 Desktop. I see
> is is a Shell Script.
>
> Where do I go from here please ??

Hi,

Yes, LilyPond has no graphical user interface (as other well-known
scorewriters have), which can be surprising.

It uses text files to produce PDFs, thanks to a specific syntax (like
LaTeX, you may know, as a Linux user).

You can learn this in the introductive crash course :
http://lilypond.org/switch/howto
and more in the Learning Manual :
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/index

  I would suggest you to use a dedicated LilyPond text editor, such as
  jEdit + the feature-rich plugin LilyPondTool :
  http://www.jedit.org/
  http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/

  or the "quite new but very useful and promising" Frescobaldi (built on
  top of the KDE4 libraries) :
  http://www.frescobaldi.org/

  which both permit to see the text file and result in the same time,
  thanks to a built-in PDF viewer (and other "making things easier"
  features).

Of course you can also simply use your favourite text editor (emacs
and vim offer a LilyPond support).

But you really need to learn LilyPond syntax.  ;-)

Sincerely,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>