Re: controlling the alignment of FretBoards

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: controlling the alignment of FretBoards
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:42:41 -0700

On 2/6/09 4:31 PM, "-Eluze" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Robin Bannister wrote:
>>

>> The current (2.12.2) online NR 2.4.1 at line 782 has
>> neither the first fret nor the fingering aligned.
>> It looks prrety much like your align_chordmode.png.
>>
>> If I run the 782 snippet with my 2.12.1, it is aligned.
>>
> so it looks like a little change between both versions - i checked the pdf
> (2.12.1) again, where it is aligned!
>

>> The F chord has no open/mute indications, so maybe it is less constrained
>> vertically.
>> that's what i supposed, too.
>

>>     \override FretBoard #'stencil =
>>        #(lambda (grob) (box-stencil (fret-board::calc-stencil grob ) 0 0))
>>
> thanks for this nice little function!
> -Eluze

This is not expected behavior.  I'm not sure yet why it's working that way.
I suspect it's because the fretboards are being vertically centered, and now
(unlike in previous versions) the extent of the fretboards is strictly
correct.  It's a case where doing things right caused an unintended side
effect.

Please file a bug report on bug-lilypond, as I won't be able to get to this
for a while; perhaps two or three weeks.

Thanks,

Carl