midi2ly

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: midi2ly
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 03:27:28 +0200

Hi Lilyponders,

I'm new in this newsgroup, forgive me if my question had already been
discussed.

I'm trying the midi2ly utility. I have attached (I hope this mailinglist
accepts attachments)
1. driekwart.mid - a few bars in 3/4 time (happy birthday,)

I tried this:
# midi2ly -o midi2ly-test.ly -d 16 driekwart.mid

The result was a file named "driekwart-midi.ly" and not
"midi2ly-test.ly". The -o option is ignored. A bug, or am I doing
something wrong ?

Another problem: If I do
# lilypond driekwart-midi.ly
the resulting ps/pdf files show happy birthday in 4/4 time, but I do
see 3/4 time in driekwart-midi.ly. Again a bug, or newbie-ignorance ?

Last question: driekwart-midi.ly shows \version "2.7.18" while I'm
testing lilypond 2.11.62. Has the program not been maintained/updated
for a long time ? Shouldn't someone do that, or is everyone focused on
musicxml2ly these days. I know: MIDI sucks when it comes to producing
sheet music. But that's no excuse for a malfunctioning midi2ly utility.

The driekwart-midi.ly produced by midi2ly looks like this:

% Lily was here -- automatically converted by /usr/bin/midi2ly from
driekwart.mid
\version "2.7.18"

trackAchannelA =  {

  \key c \major

  \tempo 4 = 120

  \time 3/4

}

trackA = <<
  \context Voice = channelA \trackAchannelA

trackBchannelA = \relative c {
  g'' a g c |
  % 2
  b2 g4 a |
  % 3
  g d' c2 |
  % 4

}

trackB = <<
  \context Voice = channelA \trackBchannelA

\score {
  <<
    \context Staff=trackB \trackB

Martin Tarenskeen