Re: unfoldRepeats

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: unfoldRepeats
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 23:02:48 +0200

Your mistake is that you believe that the repeats can be separated from the notes. Please always keep in mind that the input should
describe the musical meaning, not only the resulting layout.
In this case, the music that should be played is c g c a, right.
In notation, you can use repeats as a shorthand and similarly
LilyPond input syntax allows to use \repeat. However, this should
be done together with the music and not separated, as you have done.
I would rather call it a bug that your first example produces the result it does.
Just replace
c'4 g a in your examples by
\repeat volta 2 {c'4} \alternative{{ g}{ a}}

   /Mats

Quoting "James E. Bailey" <address@hidden>:

Okay, so I think I understand now. I think this may be a bug. Or at least, not documented. I don't know how to say this in proper lilypond terms, but the repeats don't unfold.

\score {
   \new Staff <<
      {
         \time 1/4
         \repeat volta 2 {s4}
         \alternative { {s4} {s4} }
      }
      {
         c'4 g a
         \bar "|."

\score {
   \unfoldRepeats {
      \new Staff <<
         {
            \time 1/4
            \repeat volta 2 {s4}
            \alternative { {s4} {s4} }
         }
         {
            c'4 g a
            \bar "|."

Does work. Is this correct? Can this be changed?