combining parts into a score

From: jo.clarinet
Subject: combining parts into a score
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

Over the last month or so I've been working on 'Lilyponding' a set of parts
for a piece I've arranged. The individual parts all look very good now, I
think, and are pretty much as I would want them, so I'm very pleased. :)

However, I'm getting in a complete tangle trying to combine the parts into a
score, and although I've read the documentation and searched on the site, I
can't sort myself out. I've only tried to combine two parts so far, as an
experimental start, but can't even manage that  (*hangs head in shame*). I
have done:

\include "alto+descant notes.ly"
\include "alto2 notes.ly"
<<
\new Staff \alto+descant notes
\new Staff \alto2 notes

which is the layout that it had as a template on the documentation, but had
no luck.

Also, am I right in thinking that the 'notes' files shouldn't have all the
headers and tempo indications which are on the individual parts, but just
the notes? If I need to keep some headers, which ones do I keep? And will I
need to expand the condensed rests in the parts to single-bar rests, or does
it do that automatically?

Thanks,
Jo