Re: Measurement units for Stem Length (and in general)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Measurement units for Stem Length (and in general)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 22:19:07 +0200

Unrelated to your question, why don't you use

\override NoteHead #'style = #'cross

instead of the complicated setting of stencil + text to get
the cross? See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Note-heads#Special-note-heads

  /Mats

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
I've started doing some simple exercises to acquaint myself with the Lilypond syntax. In the following snippet I try to change the second notehead to an x and make the stem connect properly:
\version "2.11.61"

\relative c' {
    \time 4/4
    \once \override  NoteHead #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
    \once \override  Stem #'Y-offset = #0.15
    \once \override  Stem #'length = #6.85
    \once \override  NoteHead #'text = #(markup #:musicglyph
"noteheads.s2cross")
    d e f |
}

     I'm confused why the stem length shouldn't normally be 3 for a stem that spans three spaces.
In the Internals Reference for stem, the unit for the setting "length" is given as
"dimension, in staff space."  How is that different than a number?
     Is there a reference table somewhere that lists the units of measurement
used by Lilypond?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

        Mats Bengtsson