Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Sebastian Menge
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:01:08 +0200

Am Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:47:56 +0200
schrieb Alexander Kobel <address@hidden>:

> However, one suggestion: Have you talked about the size of the
> navigation sidebar? On my 13" MacBook (1280x800), there is /plenty/ of
> space wasted (default font settings in Firefox 3, haven't changed
> anything). Not sure about other browsers/OSs, and I have no clue if
> there are screens below 1024 horizontal resolution still in use in a
> noticeable number, but I guess I'd prefer a little narrower setting in
> favour of the main text. Just my two pence...

Be aware that long lines are hard to read. (That's the reason why
newspapers are typeset in multiple columns.) When it comes to screen
resolution and web design, this is a real issue. One option (and my
preferred) is to fix the width of the html and center the whole thing.
Wasted space and screen resolutions are not good points, because they
are very subjective and likely to change.

Seb.