Re: updated margins-a4-letter.ly

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: updated margins-a4-letter.ly
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:58:12 -0700

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:57:52 +0100
"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/10/5 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> > Two more updates to margins-a4-letter.ly:
> > - if you specify #(set-default-paper-size "letter"), it doesn't
> >  work.  You need to do it with #(ly:set-option...)
> > instructions are in the file.
>
> This is easily fixed,

How?  The problem is here:
#(define is-letter? (string=? (ly:get-option 'paper-size) "letter"))
but I couldn't figure out how to rewrite is-letter? to avoid using
ly:get-option.

In other words, does
#(set-default-paper-size ...)
set any variables other than paper-width and paper-height?  ie is
there a paper-size variable?  I couldn't see any in the definition
of set-default-paper-size in scm/paper.scm.  I'd love to fix this, but
I can't see how.

> I have one more suggestion: since bottom-margin and right-margin are
> the same as top- and left- respectively, you could define them thus:
>
> bottom-margin = #top-margin
> right-margin = #left-margin

Hmm... what if somebody wanted to modify this file to add a 1cm
gutter on the left side?
I don't think the extra function call adds any significant time to
the file processing, and this way it's easier to modify the
margins if somebody wanted to:

  left-margin = #(+ (* 1 cm) (letter-margin-width
min-horizontal-margins)) right-margin = #(letter-margin-width
min-horizontal-margins)

> One thing I've just noticed: despite what it says in 4.1.1 `Paper
> size', set-default-paper size doesn't work inside \paper { }.

I assumed that was deliberate (other than the doc mistake) -- you
do set-default... at the toplevel to affect *all* \paper sections,
while you do set-paper in an individual \paper section.

Cheers,
- Graham