Re: GDP: NR 1.1 comment

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.1 comment
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:35:36 +0100

Right! GrandStaff contexts are often used in orchestral scores, for example, to group a number of staves together, such as the string parts. In LilyPond, the
GrandStaff and PianoStaff contexts appear in the same way in the context
hierarchy.
We discussed more or less the same issue back in November, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-12/msg00150.html

  /Mats

David Fedoruk wrote:
Piano music is not the only place to use a GrandStaff is it? Is not a
full orchestral score written on a Grand Staff? And the full score of
a String Quartet is it not also a Grand Staff?

I am not 100% sure I'm right here either. I thought that GrandStaff
meant more than one staves bound together because they made up a
greater whole.

In Lilypond I thought that PianoStaff was  inside the GrandStaff
hierarchy as child of the GrandStaff the way GrandStaff is of \score.

As i say, I'm not sure that I'm exactly correct here, but if I am then
GrandStaff still has uses aside from the far more specific case of
PianoStaff.

Cheers
David

 >> I just noticed that the staff contexts of the examples in 1.1.3.5 are
 >> PianoStaff. In 1.6 there is only mentioned GrandStaff. Which one is
 >> the preferred one to be used? I would mention both in 1.6, but I
 >> think we should develop guidelines which context names to use. Maybe
 >> the PianoStaff is (at least to others than English native speakers)
 >> more understandable? So the context would be called PianoStaff in
 >> 1.6.1 but I would also mention that there is a GrandStaff context?
 >> So far I have understood that they are both equal. Is this true?
 >>
 > In version 2.11, the only difference between the two is that
 > PianoStaff contains the instrument name engraver. In version 2.10
 > and earlier, there were more differences. The PianoStaff then produced
 > a fixed distance between the staves, since the cross-staff
 > slurs and beams didn't work otherwise. This limitation has been fixed
 > in 2.11.
 Ok, good to know. So PianoStaff should maybe be the default, so nobody
 will be wondering why the instrument name won't show up...
 What for is the GrandStaff then?

 Till

> /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson