Re: Problems with several parts, movements

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Problems with several parts, movements
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:11:52 +0100

Am Samstag, 16. Februar 2008 schrieb Ben Lewis:
> I've been typesetting a Telemann concerto for a baroque ensemble that I
> play in, and I've been having difficulties with actually producing more
> than one part from the same file (I need to input Violin 1,2 and Viola
> parts, since we only have hand-written ones.)

You can either use multiple \book {...} sections in one .ly file, which will
then create multiple pdfs, which are unfortunately numbered, e.g.
telemann-1.pdf, telemann-2.pdf, ... You can, however, also use
    #(define output-suffix "VcB")
to define a suffix for the filename. A number will still be added, so the
filename for the \book(s) after this definition will be telemann-VcB-3.pdf,
etc. This will work only in lilypond >= 2.11, though.

Attached is an example to show you how this works. It creates five files for
VI, VII, Va, VcB and a FullScore.

The other way (e.g. if this file naming is too unflexible for you) is to
create separate input files and one file with all the music definitions. Each
file for VI, VI, etc. would include the file with the music definitions, and
you can write a makefile to build all five files with a simple make.

> My other problem comes from
> the fact that if I give multiple "piece" names in the \header section, only
> the last one is printed for all of them.

You need to add a separate score for each piece, and in each of these scores,
you can set the piece to something separate...
Cheers,
Reinhold