Re: GDP: LM 3-4

From: calvin mitcham
Subject: Re: GDP: LM 3-4
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:44:02 -0500

graham:

"LM 3 and LM 4 are quite hard going for anyone fairly new to LilyPond". thank you trevor! i am certainly a newbie, and although i have always found these sections very confusing, i never spoke up cause i had no suggestions about how to improve them. now that i'm trying to help, i'll ramble out loud here a little... to just read these sections is confusing and boring. the tweaking is especially hard to read. i mean i hardly ever have an issue about how lilypond engraves, and when it is different than what i'm transcribing, i usually don't care. i realize i am at the very bottom of the lilypond user pool, i simply want my lesson pieces larger for my old eyes, and the midi output is great too. enough rambling.

i was proud/relieved recently, when after ~10 minutes of targetted study, i got a

\once \override Score.MetronomeMark #'padding = #4
\tempo 4=88
\set Score.skipBars = ##t R1*3

to move the tempo marking above the "3" for the multi-measure rest. when given a specific problem to solve like this, the lm and nr docs are quite helpful. i had to get the naming convention, which engraver, and the property, and it worked out pretty quickly. but to just peruse the list of objects and properties is painful.
now file structure is another confusing subject where again i have no sugesstion, but i do wish it were easier for the newbie. i worked on a couple of pieces for hours trying to use includes etc to completely minimize the amount of repeating any typing, such as putting music notes for violin, pianoright and pianoleft in separate files, the combining to print a score, a piano part with reduced violin above, and a violin by itself. i got something passable, but never nailed where some things. for example, i could not get a piano with smaller violin staff without repeating the violin music with a smaller staff, or having the violin part not show fingerings in the piano printout.