change staff to staff in different context

From: David Fedoruk
Subject: change staff to staff in different context
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 00:54:28 -0800

Hello:

I've used the \change Staff = "upper" command with success in another
score. Now I am using a more complex scheme layout and the staff I
need to change to is in another context. Using \change Staff  =
"lhupper\lhOne" will at least render something. Anything else I've
tried just stops lilypond in its tracks.

this is my layout:

%%%%% snip %%

\score{
        \context PianoStaff
        <<
        \set PianoStaff.instrumentName =  \markup { \large \bold { { "4" }}}
        \context Staff = rh {
                <<
                \context Voice = rhupper { \rhOne }
                \context Voice = rhlower { \rhTwo }

        }

        \context Staff = lh {
                <<
                \context Voice = lhupper { \lhOne }
                \context Voice = lhlower { \lhTwo }

        }

        \layout {
                        \context {
                                \Score
                                \override NonMusicalPaperColumn
                         #'line-break-system-details = #'((alignment-offsets .
(0 -14)))

        \midi { }
}

%%%

I've checked the snippets example, but that doesn't work with my
scheme. I am not just changing staff, the staff I want to change to is
in another context. Lilypond always tells me that " cannot change
`Context' to `rhTwo': none of these in my family". I think I haven't
told lilypond how to find the staff I want it to switch to correctly.
I've tried multiple variants but only get more errors.

Cheers,
David

--
David Fedoruk
B.Mus. UBC,1986

http://recordjackethistorian.wordpress.com
"Music is enough for one's life time, but one life time is not enough
for music" Sergei Rachmaninov