Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Offsetting a turn horizontally
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:13:01 +0200

Eyolf Østrem wrote:
> On 08.10.2007 (17:04), Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>> Exactly what do you mean. The spacing should be the same as if the turn
>> was appeared over a true note at the same position in the bar. Try
>> replacing
>> the "s" by a pitch to see this.
>
> Isn't that what the OP said? A quick test here also confirms that it
> is true: replacing one or both "s"-s with pitches, changes the spacing
> the spacing is different with "s" than with a pitch.
> In fact,
>
>    {d4 d4\turn}
>    {s4 s4\turn}
>    {s4 d4\turn}
>    {d4 s4\turn}
>
> in the original example give four different spacings.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I wrote an email yesterday with a couple
of PDF attachments to show the difference but it got lost ... I take it
the list doesn't like such files?

Are there suggestions for a solution?  I guess one could put in
"invisible" notes.

I was kind of hoping there might be some way of overriding the spacing
for a given note along the lines of, "space this note as if it was
actually 2 quarter-notes", but I don't know if that's possible ... ?