Long flat / sharp trills and trills ending at barline

From: Risto Vääräniemi
Subject: Long flat / sharp trills and trills ending at barline
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 07:01:32 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I was searching for a method to add a flat / sharp sign to a long trill. I
found a a couple of tips [1, 2] that helped me along but there was a small
drawback, though. The custom TextSpanner / TrillSpanner aligns the wavy line
at the bottom of the trill sign (see 2nd bar) or at the bottom of the flat /
sharp sign (3rd bar). I tried to change the #'bound-details #'left #'Y
parameter of the TextSpanner but I was only able to make the wavy line to
ascend or descend. :-) I wonder if there are any other parameters, which
would help adjusting the position of the wavy line.

Another thing... It also seems quite difficult to make a long trill to stop
at the bar line (not stopping at a note). It is possible but it requires
some tweaking (using another voice with hidden notes). I tried to stop the
spanner at a silent pause but the wavy line disappeared completely and the
trill sign was thrown to the left margin. I found a property for the custom
TextSpanner: #'to-barline = ##t but it doesn't seen to do the trick. Some
sort of padding was proposed in [3] although tried to address a slightly
different problem.

I must admit that I'm not sure if any of the phenomenon I described are
bugs. I was just experimenting with the trill thingie and came up with some
problems. It also is possible that some of the trill markings are not
"valid" or recommended but I have seen then used in some examples.

Best Regards,

Risto

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Sharp-and-flat-trills-tf2148083.html#a5931684
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg07544.html
[3] http://www.nabble.com/Barcheck-and-TrillSpan-t4383866.html#a12497316

http://www.nabble.com/file/p13060032/trb.png Snippet in PNG format.

%%%%%%%%% Snippet start %%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.34"

trstyle = {
   \override TextSpanner   #'style = #'trill
   \override TextSpanner   #'edge-height = #'(0 . 1)
}

trflatstartI = {
    \trstyle
    \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
        \markup{\musicglyph #"scripts.trill"
        \raise #1.0 \smaller \flat}
}

trflatstartII = {
    \trstyle
    \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
        \markup{ \column{\tiny\smaller\smaller\smaller{\flat}
            {\musicglyph #"scripts.trill"}}}
}

one = \relative c' {
    f2.. \startTrillSpan f8 \stopTrillSpan |
    \trflatstartI f2..^\startTextSpan f8 \stopTextSpan |
    \trflatstartII f2..^\startTextSpan f8 \stopTextSpan |
    f1 | <<f1\startTrillSpan {s2... s16 \stopTrillSpan}>>
}

two = \relative c' {
    s1 | s | s |
    \hideNotes f2... \startTrillSpan f16 \stopTrillSpan \unHideNotes |
    s1
}

\new Staff {
    <<