Lyric tie and MS-Gothic font

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Lyric tie and MS-Gothic font
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 14:26:45 +0100

I'm having problems with the lyric tie on a Windows XP
system.  Here's a simple example containing it:

\version "2.10.20"
\paper {
   ragged-right = ##t
}
<<
 \relative c' {
  c4.~ c8 d b
 }
 \addlyrics {
  Lar -- go~al fac
 }

On my system this gives the error message:

Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Layout output to `bug.ps'...
warning: don't know how to embed
"MS-Gothic"="C:/WINDOWS/fonts/msgothic.ttc"
Converting to `bug.pdf'...
`gs -q   -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS#595.28 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS#841
.89  -dCompatibilityLevel#1.4  -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200  -sD
EVICE#pdfwrite -sOutputFile#"bug.pdf" -c .setpdfwrite -f
"bug.ps"' failed (1)

The manual says that the lyric tie is printed using the
Undertie glyph, U+203F, and requires a font to be installed
which includes this glyph, like DejaVu LGC.  I tried
installing DejaVuLGCSans.ttf but this makes no difference to
the error message.

I now see that this glyph is already included in the
MS-Gothic font, installed in XP by default, and it seems LP
is attempting to use this font rather than the DejaVu one.
I can use undertie from both fonts in MS Word without
difficulty.  The glyph in DejaVu is somewhat longer than the
one from MS Gothic, but they are basically the right glyphs.

I get the same error if I encode the .ly file in DejaVu,
replace the tilde with undertie, and save it in utf-8.

Any ideas on fixing this?  Is it a bug, or do I need to do
something else?

Trevor