Re: Adding / deleting staves on the fly

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Adding / deleting staves on the fly
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 00:19:11 +0200

Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 schrieb Risto Vääräniemi:
> I've been trying to find out how to create and delete staves on the fly.
> This would be very useful especially in choir music when one voice is quiet
> for a long time

Hiding "empty" staves is easy, see below.

> or when a voice is divided and it is no longer convenient
> to cram them into one staff.

that's something I can't answer...

> Another issue is starting a song with just one voice and forcing the staff
> to start with the ChoirStaff. One workaround was introduced (below) but I
> couldn't use it to add a new staff for the next system.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/One-staff-in-ChoirStaff-tf1934152.html#a5299462

If you simply want staves with rests only to disappear, simply add the
RemoveEmptyStaffContext to your layout. To force this to also apply to the
first system of a score, set #'remove-first of VerticalAxisGroup to ##t:

\layout{
  \context {
    \Score
    % Remove all-rest staves, even in the first system
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
  }
  \context {
    \RemoveEmptyStaffContext

However, this will not print the choir bracket if only one staff is left. In
this case, the Lilypond Snipplet Repository comes to help:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=201

Simply add
  \context {
    \ChoirStaff
    % If only one non-empty staff in a system exists, still print the backet
    \override SystemStartBracket #'collapse-height = #1
  }

to the \layout section, too. As an example you can check my Litaniae
Lauretanae KV 109 at CPDL:
http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Litaniae_Lauretanae_BMV_-_KV_109_(Wolfgang_Amadeus_Mozart)

The lilypond files can be downloaded there, too.

As for dynamically splitting/combining multiple voices into multiple/single
staves when needed, that's a problem where I would like to get an answer, too
(I need it for a mass where the soloists staves can be combined into the
choir staff most of the time, only in one place do they sing together with
the choir).

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --