Re: cruft after introduction to vocal piece - solved

From: Ed Ravin
Subject: Re: cruft after introduction to vocal piece - solved
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:51:27 -0400

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 09:33:38AM +0200, Tao Cumplido wrote:
> The thing here is that you split your parts and in the score
> block you create two piano staves whereas one is completely
> sufficient.
> the time signature appears because the staff with the melody line
> begins after the line break.
> you have to add rests like R1*4 to your melody line and let it
> begin at the same time the piano intro does and reduce your score
> block to one PianoStaff.
> And then add the command I suggested earlier and first system
> will only show the piano intro.

Aha! That works, but not quite as you described.  I had to use "s"
rests, otherwise the unwanted staff line still showed up.

After converting to the standard "one piano staff", the melody
line looks like this:

        melody =  \relative c'' {
          \clef treble
          \key g \major
                \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
                s1 | s1 | s1 | s1 |
                \break
                d,8\mf e fis g fis e d e |
        }

The two sections in the score was a hack because I couldn't get
RemoveEmptyStaffContext working last year when I first needed this
feature.  For a while I was using two score {} blocks and not
getting this problem, but MIDI output only worked for the second
section, the measure numbers got reset, and I could see it was
making things unnecessarily complex.

Thanks so much for your help!

        -- Ed