Re: Can I have my own custom LilyPond?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Can I have my own custom LilyPond?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:13:33 +0000 (UTC)

PabloZum <pabzum <at> terra.com.br> writes:

> I'm rather dissatisfied with the way LilyPond prints chord names. After
> trying all the ideas some people here have generously given me to try and
 use my
> own chord-name font, I've come to the conclusion that the only practical
 way to
> achieve what I want is by changing the sourcecode to fit my own fairly
> idiossincratic chord-name style.
>
> Is it possible to do that? I mean, to fiddle with the sourcecode, change it
> to my own requirements and have an indepedent LilyPond?
>
> If so, which files are relevant?

I'd recommend that you look at scm/chord-generic-names.scm.  To my quick look,
this is where chord names come from.

Rather than write your own separate Lilypond, and force you to maintain your
version, I'd recommend that you just define your own chord name style.  In
chord-generic-names.scm you'll see that there are at least two different chord
name styles, banter-chord-names and jazz-chord-names.  You could add your own
pablo-chord-names function, add it to Lilypond, and move on forward.

You can make changes to .scm files without recompiling Lilypond, and you can
send patches to the lilypond-devel list; the patches will either be approved and
applied, or you'll receive suggestions on how to improve the patches to make
them acceptable for Lilypond.

Welcome to the Lilypond developers world.  We love to have new contributors.

Carl Sorensen