Re: PDF Problem

From: Steve Schow
Subject: Re: PDF Problem
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:49:39 -0700 (PDT)

Using a different PDF viewer is not really an acceptable solution for work
that will be published on the internet.  It needs to be acceptably viewable
in ANY pdf viewer on any platform.

I will point out again, that if a PDF is created on the mac(with finale), it
looks fine on windows.  Also if I create the PDF with overture on windows,
it looks fine on windows.  Also if I use the postscript output option of
Finale on windows, those PDF's also look fine on windows...even in the
crummy PDF viewers that have been mentioned they look excellent.  I am
guessing that the lilypond manual was created on linux.  It does not look ok
on windows in any case.

By the way, I just loaded up Ubuntu linux on vmware to see some PDF
rendering there.  Here is with Linux adobe reader:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p11699968/ScreenHunter_05%2BJul.%2B19%2B15.55.jpg

Here is with KPDF:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p11699968/ScreenHunter_05%2BJul.%2B19%2B15.55.jpg

Here is from KGhostView:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p11699968/ScreenHunter_05%2BJul.%2B19%2B15.55.jpg

They all have problems, on linux.  now granted, that is running on top of
VMware... is this a display driver issue or a rasterizing issue?  What
exactly *IS* the issue?

Seems to me that lilypond is producing some form of postscript that is not
resiliant enough, or portable enough to display well in all viewers and
platforms.  Why not make it so ly scores will be more universaly
displayable?