Re: abreviating note collsion notation

From: David Fedoruk
Subject: Re: abreviating note collsion notation
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:09:32 -0700

Hello:

For  a very short few days I thought I had worked the problem out
without needing to do this but this Sonata is turning out to be a kind
of study in new voices being added, then the previous one dropping
out, one after the other. He must have been an engraver's nightmare!

This notation is perhaps not going to stay as it is. After I have the
notes in place  as Longo published them, I will have a look at the
Kirkpatrick Scarlatti Facsimile Edition and cross theck to see what
Scarlatti actually wrote. Longo is rumoured to be quite accurate, but
his addition of expression markings is troubling. There is no way to
tell what is Scarlatti's and what is Longo's.

----- Code Snip Scarlattie Sonata K. 530 ----

\version "2.11.27"
\include "english.ly"

    upper = \relative c'' {
       \clef treble
       \key e \major
       \time 3/4

        gs b ds, fs e b |                                       % Bar 17
        cs a  gs e' fs, ds' |                           % Bar 18
        e, b'' gs  e b gs |                                     % Bar 19
    e8 b fs  r4 r8 \bar "||"       % Bar 20

         \key e \minor  r8 b''8[ \grace a16 g8 fs e d] |
|       % bar 21
         \override Staff.NoteCollision #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t
  <<              { \relative c''\grace b16 \stemUp c2  a'4 ~ |  a8[a g fs b a
]  | }  \\
                { c,2. |  b2.                                   | }

         { g'8[ b g fs e d ]    |               % bar 24
%          \grace b16 c2.                                |      % bar 25
           \override Staff.NoteCollision #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t
  <<              { \grace b16 \stemUp  c2  a'4 ~ | a8[c b a d c ]        | b2.
|  } \\
                        { c,2.           |  d                           | }

    lower = \relative c {
       \clef bass
       \key e \major
       \time 3/4

        <e, e'> <fs fs'> <gs gs'>             |               % Bar 17
        <a a'>4  b  b,                                    |               % Bar
18
        e4   r4  r4                                             |
% Bar 19
        r4  r8 e' b fs \bar "||"              |               % Bar 20
        \key e \minor e4 r4 r                   |               % Bar 21
        r8 a''8 fs8 ds  c b                             |               % Bar 22
        b,,2.                                                   |
% Bar 23
        e4  r4  r                                               |
% Bar 24
        r8  a''8 fs ds cs b                             |               % bar 25
        d,,2.                                                   |
% bar 26
        <gs gs'>2  <gs gs'>4                        |               % bar 27

    }

    \score {
       \new PianoStaff <<
          \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "Piano  "
          \new Staff = "upper" \upper
          \new Staff = "lower" \lower

       \layout { }

       \midi { }

    }

--------------- End Code Snip

The problem is in bar 27. As you can see, I have already used "
\override Staff.NoteCollision #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t "  and
now I need to use " \override Staff.NoteCollision
#'merge-differently-headed = ##t " for the b'' in the right hand. It
will be an eighth note in one voice and a half note in the other
voice. This piece is almost but  not quite three part polyphony except
that the three voices are not continuous voices; one comes in as
another leaves, then a new voice comes in over top again. It seems to
be an exercise in merging voices! Perhaps this would be a good
illustration for a HOW TO sometime in the future.

I went on and coded its partner Sonata, K531, thinking Id get some
practice. I did, but the polyphony is much easier. It is basically two
parts with teh occasional cadence point using more. That I managed to
do easilly enough using the techniques I'm using here.
Maybe you can post the problematic code.
I use such shorthands a lot. If they don't work the way I expect them to do I
try to put them somewhere else or changing the context.

I have also attached a PDF of the Longo Edition I am working from so
you have what I have in front of me.

--
David Fedoruk
B.Mus. UBC,1986

http://recordjackethistorian.wordpress.com
"Music is enough for one's life time, but one life time is not enough
for music" Sergei Rachmaninov