Custom Volta repeats

From: Romel Anthony Bismonte
Subject: Custom Volta repeats
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:40:11 +1000

Hi, I am new to Lilypond, and I am having success so far in notating my music.

I have run into an issue with repeated music:

\score {
    \new Voice \relative c' {
        c4 d e g
        \repeat volta 2 {
            a g c b |
            a g e d
        }
        \repeat volta 4 {
            g f e d
        }
        c1 \bar "|."

This gets interpreted smoothly, but on the second repeat there is no indication that
the music needs to be repeated four times. I was expecting volta brackets to be drawn
kind of like this:
                 /1-4  \/5
    |:----|----:||:----:|----||

I've tried several things, like trying to find some "visibility" setting that I could override.
I was most successful with this:

\score {
    \new Voice \relative c' {
        c4 d e g |
        c, d e g
        \repeat volta 2 {
            a g c b |
            a g e d
        }

        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(end-repeat start-repeat (volta "1 - 4"))
            g f e d
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(end-repeat (volta "5"))
        c1 \bar "|."

and this gets me the results that I want, but it generates a warning:
warning: already have a volta spanner, ending that one prematurely

I think it has to do with the fact that there's a \repeat volta-style repeat right up
against a manually-created repeat.

Now I know that warnings don't stop the creation of the file, but isn't there a
"warning-less" way to do it? What is the correct way to show volta brackets above
music even if there aren't any alternatives after the repeat?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Romel

Change is good. See what's different about Windows Live Hotmail. Check it out!