Re: problem: figured bass on a rest

From: madhg
Subject: Re: problem: figured bass on a rest
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:07:53 -0700 (PDT)

I hunted in lilypond-bug and found issue 77 "figured bass does not print
figure over rest",
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=77&can=1&q=figure

This was with v. 2.9.18.  Han-Wen wrote "Kludged a solution with
ignoreFiguredBassRest property."

I found incomplete documentation of this property in the 2.11 documentation.
So I tried it.

Being very non-expert on the proper syntax, I tried various bits of code
producing syntax errors, and eventually arrived at this:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.25"
\paper{ ragged-right=##t }

\new Score{
    <<
    \new Staff = bassStaff \relative c {
        \clef bass
        c4 r e
      }
      \context Staff = bassStaff
        \figuremode{
        \override Staff.BassFigureAlignmentPositioning #'direction = #DOWN
        \override BassFigure #'ignoreFiguredBassRest = ##f
        <5>4 <4> <3>   }

}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It compiled without errors or warnings.  But the figure under the rest still
did not print.

I tried changing ##f to ##t    and got

warning: cannot find property type-check for `ignoreFiguredBassRest'
(backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?
warning: doing assignment anyway

I double-checked: just changing ##f to ##t produces a warning message;
changing back to ##f gives a warning-free compilation.

So the problem remains unsolved.

David Griffel