Re: Half-sheet music

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: Re: Half-sheet music
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:49:27 -0400

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:

Mattl wrote:

I am trying to re-write a hard-to-read half sheet of music for my marching band. It needs to take up a half sheet, and i can't figure out how to do this. The dimensions I need are 8.5 by 5.5 inches, and i need them ASAP.
Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. I have tried everything i can think of.  Nothing worked.  I have
spent about 2 hours trying to figure it out.

I dont know what platform you are on, but I use custom paper sizes all the
time on WindowsXP, here are the steps to follow: [...]

I had to do this same thing recently, except that my paper was even smaller than a half-sheet. I've tried to use non-standard paper sizes with LilyPond before, and it never worked, so here's what I did. These instructions will only work directly in OS X, but are probably adaptable to anything. (I'm not actually printing on smaller paper, I'm just cutting pieces out of a US Letter page.)

1. Typeset your piece in LilyPond as usual. Use a larger staff size than you normally would; use no headers and set tagline="" so that nothing but the music is output.

2. Use pdfcrop on the output PDF.

3. In OmniGraffle (or another vector-based drawing program), make a rectangle of the size of your paper.

4. Drag the cropped PDF into the OmniGraffle document and resize it to fit the paper. Add the piece title or whatever.

5. Print and cut out your music.

Hope this helps someone somewhere!

--
Benjamin D. Esham