Re: Tip/Trick: elision between lyric syllables

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Tip/Trick: elision between lyric syllables
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 14:11:04 +0000 (UTC)

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

> Isn't it strange that there isn't any relevant symbol defined in Unicode
> that can be used directly, without having to move it around.

Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.  I've used the Unicode
"undertie" character ("‿") directly in a score, and in my opinion it looked
good enough.  Not perfect, but good enough.

IMHO, the display of any particular character in a font is a font, rather than
a character set issue.  It actually looks closer to what I expect using e.g.
emacs' "fixed" font, or whatever font I'm using right now in a web browser,
 than it looks using Lilypond's lyric typesetting font, but I haven't studied
the
documentation for this character well enough to say which font is more
conformant.

Anyway, the following works well *enough* for me with no further ado[1]:

tiWords = \lyricmode {
  Tu che di ver -- de‿il pra -- to
  ve -- sti‿e‿i giar -- din di fio -- ri,
  %% ...etc
}

[1] OK, so I had to bind a key combination to that character, but after that
it was all smooth sailing.
--

Arvid