Re: Midstring markup

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Midstring markup
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:34:29 +0200

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Pango actually supports a simple markup scheme of itself. It would be nice if there were a

 \pangoMarkup  #"<b>bold</b>"

command that uses Pango's facilities to format text.
I don't see the point of introducing yet another "programming language" and syntax to use in .ly files, especially since we already have markup commands that do the
same thing.

1. it's relatively easy to do.

2. The problem is that lily's markup language doesn't know anything about multilingual issues, and will almost always mess up details of word/letterspacing when combined with bidi text and changing languages.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com