StaffSymbol color change for just one measure?

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: StaffSymbol color change for just one measure?
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:31:10 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a way to change the staff symbol color, but just for one or a few
selected measures?

I tried embedding the following into the beginning of the measure I'd like
to change, it compiles, but the color does not change:

c d e f

\override Staff.StaffSymbol #'color = #red
a b c d

c d e f

BTW I also tried stopStaff startStaff but that introduces other bugs where
the staff extender lines disappear on notes outside the 5 staff lines, after
the next line break, but this looks like a program bug.

v2.8.5

Thanks
Rick