Re: Simple question about rests

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Simple question about rests
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:13:37 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Hello.

I was reading the lilypond example page

http://lilypond.org/stable/examples.html

and looking at the first page of the first example (Petite Ouverture ...)
it seems that a rest can have an incorrect vertical position. E.g. in bars
12 and 13 the second quaver (eighth note) rest is in line with the upper
note (the A) instead of the lower pair of notes. The rest should be placed
out of the way of the A because the A _exists_ at the same time as the
rest, but it seems lilypond won't do this unless the other note (the A in
this example) actually _starts_ at the same time as the rest.

I agree that this would be a nice feature. However, handling collisions
between different voices is a very intricate matter and there will
always be a number of special cases that cannot be handled
automatically.

[This is slightly surprising because it means that rests are being treated differently from notes.]

Of course they are, since rests don't have a prescribed vertical
position, in contrast to notes.

I looked for discussion of this problem, but I couldn't find any in the
support mailing lists (perhaps I didn't look properly). It would be nice
to know if the problem is due to be fixed or if there is a work-around.

I hope the main authors of Lilypond put this on the feature request list
for future versions. If you know some C++ yourself, please feel free to
try to implement it.
In the mean time, you can explicitly specify the vertical position of
each rest, using the \rest command, see
http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Rests.html

   /Mats