Re: lilypond does not work

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: lilypond does not work
Date: 05 Jan 2002 16:44:05 +0100

"Robert F. mudde" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear helpers,

Hi Rob et al.

> I have just downloaded lylipond-1.4.9.uu1 (at least I guess that's
> what it is) for one of my daughters to write sheet music. And guess
> what: I can't get it working. I followed your instructions from
> http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/windows/out-www/installing.html
> and got stuck almost immediately.  I made a file foo.ly with
> contents as you specified:
>
> \score { \notes { c4 ( ) c4 } }
>
> I have stored that in c:/cygwin/home/robmudde, which is the directory the
> gnu-lilypond icon opens in when double clicked. There I have typed
>
> ly2dvi -P foo

That's all fine.  The problem is probably your home directory, it
contains a space:

                                                 ^
> Running LaTeX...
> error: latex: command exited with value 256

Sadly, (La)TeX can't handle that.  You can eiter remove the space from
your home directory (eg, call it Rob-Mudde), or run ly2dvi
from another directory that you create (/home/lily).

> I have no idea what is wrong. Please help and while doing so, please
> keep in mind that you 'talk' to laymen. Specify literally what you
> want us to do.

I'm sure you can handle this?  If you have further problems, have a
look at

    http://lilypond.org/wiki?TroubleshootingWindows

or mail again to this list.

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4134.100" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Dear helpers,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I&nbsp;have just downloaded lylipond-1.4.9.uu1
> (at
> least I guess that's what it is) for one of my daughters to write sheet
> music.
> And guess what: I can't get it working. I followed your instructions from
> </FONT></DIV>

Oh, and please, don't send HTML (mail to this list).

Greetings,
Jan.