Re: Getting beam subdivision working

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Getting beam subdivision working
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:12:43 -0400

On Jun 17, 2023, at 09:27, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

>> That sounds like it would make more sense to specify those values in the
>> form of a "duration log", like the first argument to a ly:make-duration
>> call.
>
> Or just use a duration in the first place.  First iterations would
> likely only use the duration-log info while I consider it conceivable
> that in the context of tuplets, ultimately also the factor may get used.

There are no Duration properties.  I recently tried a step down the path of
adding them and got as far as supporting

    \set Staff.parserTestDuration = \breve
    \set Staff.parserTestDuration = ##{ 4. #}
    \set Staff.parserTestDuration = \duration 4.

before deciding to leave the existing Moment properties as they are and provide
\musicLength [1] to clear ly code of #(ly:make-moment…) cruft.

I'm not saying that Duration properties couldn't or shouldn't be added; I'm
just warning that they're not a ready option.
—
Dan

[1] https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1887