Re: Interested in GNU Lilypond Google Summer of Code Beaming Fixing Proj

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Interested in GNU Lilypond Google Summer of Code Beaming Fixing Project Idea
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:53:07 +0100

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the devel list!

> > Hello Carl,
> >

> > My name is Jason Yip, and I am interested in learning more about GNU
> > Lilypond's "Fix Beaming Patterns/Beam Subdivisions and Tuplets" project
> > idea for Google Summer of Code and participating in this project idea. I
> > would like to ask, are you are still looking for prospective 2023 GSoC
> > contributors for this project idea?
> >
> > I am currently a 2nd year student at University of Illinois at
> > Urbana-Champaign, US and I am studying Computer Science + Music. I have
> > some basic familiarity with LilyPond as I sometimes use it to create
> > personal scores. I have about 4 years of experience in C++, which I hope
> > will be of use. I am available to contribute full-time during the summer
> > and would like to explore this issue, even if it means refactoring a lot
> > of the Beam C++ classes.
> >
> > I have also attached my resume.
> >
> > Thank you for considering my interest and I hope to hear back from you!

The resume didn't get forwarded with the email, can you perhaps attach it again?

Also, like Carl, I highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with our both
contribution process and the people who are around. Unfortunately, the LilyPond
has a bad track record of GSoC contributors who produced substantial work that
did not ultimately get merged because there was not enough planning of the time
that it takes to review code and discuss things. Whether related or not to
beaming, take a couple easy bugs to squash from our issue tracker (e.g., doc
bugs) and submit merge requests. It's a good way to get acquainted with the
project.

Best,

Jean