Re: fetaBraces

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: fetaBraces
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:00:30 +0100

Le mardi 14 mars 2023 à 15:46 +0100, Luca Fascione a écrit :
> This discussion makes me wonder whether something similar to LaTeX's virtual
> fonts system wouldn't be useful here.
> A virtual font is effectively a lookup table that says "for code point X pick
> up font Y code point Z" enough times.
>
> This way it's possible it'd be enough for the vast majority of use cases to
> just have one text font and one notation font,
> and then folks needing to make themselves a font using "these" clefs and
> "those" braces and "suchNsuch" noteheads can
> just make themselves a virtual font and switch to that as their "one"
> notation font, no?
>
> I mean, aside from demonstrating typographical capabilities, is there an
> honest use case for a flurry of different fonts continuously jumping here and
> there in a single score?

It's already possible (though not entirely trivial, as shown in Abraham's
replies) to override the music font per grob or locally in a markup. With this
approach, the branching happens at the level of the font. We can consider it,
but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble compared to simplifying the code
required to use different fonts for different objects.