Guile 2 vs. Guile 3

From: Eric Benson
Subject: Guile 2 vs. Guile 3
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 13:36:16 -0800

In anticipation of the impending release of 2.24, I recently ported my
Lilypond files from 2.22 to 2.23.81. I have about 100 lead sheets with
lyrics, parameterized so that I can easily create them in different keys
and in treble clef or bass clef. There are all in the range of 1 to 2 pages
when typeset. I have a script that generates them in four different keys,
so that's roughly 400 invocations of lilypond.

I know that Lilypond 2.24 binary distributions will be built with Guile 2,
not Guile 3, but I thought you might like to know that I was able to build
2.23.81 from source with Guile 3, run my script, and I got what appears to
be the exact same result as I had with the Guile 2 binary distribution.
This was on a Mac Studio with Apple CPU running MacOS Ventura 13.0.1. I'm
not sure if the Guile 3 JIT is enabled in this build, or if it even works
currently on Apple silicon. At any rate, lilypond with Guile 3 on this
system works, although it was considerably slower than Guile 2 in my build.
My script takes about 5 minutes elapsed time on 2.23.81 with Guile 2, and
it took about 17 minutes with Guile 3.

Thanks for all your hard work, and I'm looking forward to the release of
2.24.