Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:22:19 +0000

On 20/11/2022 15:05, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le 20/11/2022 à 15:40, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
I'm too tired to defend superior typographical output
again and again since it is obviously only me who sees a benefit in
it.

It's not that I don't see any benefit at all in superior
typographical output. However, the benefits are tiny in my
view, and they need to weighed against all the other variables
(maintenance, speed, ...)

For sure, typography is more important *in comparison to
those factors* to you than to me (and probably all other
developers).

Sorry, I have to chip in here, and say "developers be damned!"

Documentation is aimed at USERS. The quality of documentation is important (yes I know I might be an outlier, preferring to read/print pdf documentation). I'm very much on Werner's side - for production use, quality is EVERYTHING.

If luatex produces the best output, then it should be supported, and ideally be the default for non-developers. If you don't want to support three engines, ditch one of the other two, and if necessary make a config option that says "speed or quality?"

Cheers,
Wol