Re: BDWGC fix in 2.24?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: BDWGC fix in 2.24?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 22:29:46 +0100

On Fri, 2022-11-18 at 11:06 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As illustrated by a recent message on lilypond-user, the
> GC issue on Windows is still there for very large scores
> in 2.23.81.

I suppose this is referring to
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-11/msg00272.html
? It's always helpful to link to explicit messages, lilypond-user sees
far too much traffic for me to keep fully up with it and topics are
sometimes discussed in (somewhat) unrelated threads due to when they
come up...

> In https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/issues/454#issuecomment-1313127991
> the BDWGC maintainer said the release of his fix would
> probably happen in January, which is later than what we
> hope for our 2.24 release.
>
> What should we do? Do we accept releasing 2.24 from
> the release-8_2 branch in BDWGC even though it is not
> released? Do we keep the current workaround, which still
> gives some crashes? Do we replace our workaround
> with Ivan Maidanski's patch, which seems to apply cleanly
> on the v.8.2.2 tag?

I personally think this should not block the release, simply because
big scores have been a pain point on Windows before due to 32-bit
limitations [1]. It would of course be nice to fix it (and _maybe_ we
can patch in only the minimal parts of the patch), but otherwise I
think it is fine to release with a "known issue" as suggested by Karlin
(though that issue and the accompanying note in the release
announcement need to be very user-friendly).

Jonas

1: I'm actually surprised that 2.22.1 can go to 625 scores in the
message I linked above, for 2.23.14 already 400-ish scores use more
memory than a 32-bit process could have used. I'll need to check
that...