markup->string

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: markup->string
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 14:41:05 +0100

Hi,

please consider below (originally for 2.20. _not_ converted):

\version "2.23.80"

\header {
  myTitle = "myTitle"
  myOtherTitle = \markup { \italic \fromproperty #'header:myTitle }
  title = $(markup->string myOtherTitle)
}

\markup { "TEST" }

A title is not printed.
Though, I'm at loss, am I doing something wrongly or is it a bug
(\fromproperty has an `as-string'-setting) or _should_ it not work?

tl;dr
In a private mail the user wondered why running convert-ly over old
code containing `markup->string' results in such a complex insertion:
2.20.0 code:
title = $(markup->string myOtherTitle)
becomes with 2.23.80:
title = $(
(lambda* (m #:optional headers)
  (if headers
      (markup->string m #:props (headers-property-alist-chain headers))
      (markup->string m)))
 myOtherTitle)

Alas, it doesn't work with the initial code above, still no title.

Thus, if it does not work either way, do we need the complex result of
convert-ly at all?

Thanks,
  Harm