Re: Mixed chord/note mode

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 12:16:07 +0200

   On 2022-08-13 22:04, David Kastrup wrote:

We had this discussion a longer time ago, with chords and notes
conflicting in that : is used for tremolo notation, too.

Now I've had the idea that _inside_ of < > we don't need to notate
durations and thus < c: > would be unambiguous.

Of course the reality is that :8 is not part of the duration but a
separate tremolo event that is interpreted by the Stem_engraver .

   Somewhat off-topic, but still related: An inconvenient and
   non-intuitive consequence of the fact that :8 is not part of the
   duration, is that it's not remembered from note to note. This means
   that

   \relative c' {
   c2:8 d2:8 |
   e2:8 f2:8 |
   }

   cannot be shortened into

   \relative c' {
   c2:8 d |
   e f |
   }

   I was recently hit by surprise by this when typesetting some music, and
   I have to admit that I didn't notice directly that the typeset output
   wasn't as I expected, so I had to go back and add "2:8" at a number of
   places. It occurs to me when I write this, that I could have saved some
   typing by using

   \relative c' {
   c2:8 d:8 |
   e:8 f:8 |