Re: spacing/breaking with header considered separate from music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: spacing/breaking with header considered separate from music
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:01:54 +0100

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> The page breaker is the single one area I've
> always been afraid of looking at :-)  It's all
> C++, the algorithms are not entirely trivial,
> and it is very performance-sensitive.

It would go a long way if the page _builder_ was moved from C++ to
Scheme and got under programmer control, making things like footnotes
and similar stuff in the page layout programmable rather than hardwired.

Similar to how TeX has an output routine assembling page material under
control of its insertion mechanism (insertion boxes take up some
flexible distance on a page when they are non-empty as well as a given
fraction of their content size to make it possible to account for, say,
two-column footnotes).

The page _breaker_ can then still continue being lowlevel.