Re: [RFC] Moving to Guile 2.2 and away from GUB

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving to Guile 2.2 and away from GUB
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 20:25:46 +0000

On 11/24/21, 1:17 PM, "Jean Abou Samra" <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

    Le 24/11/2021 à 20:54, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
    > IIRC, it has some start-up overhead, but runs almost as fast as 1.8 if
you discount the overhead.   The current major problem with 2.2 as far as I
understand it is that it is very slow in building docs, because the start-up
overhead happens for every snippet.  I think the biggest risk for this is a
bigger likelihood for developers to skip the make doc step, which used to be
the gold standard for committing.

    To the contrary, now that Guile 2 byte-compilation
    has been fixed I see *faster* startup time with
    Guile 2. To wit:

    - Official 2.23.4 binary with Guile 1:

    $ time echo "" | ~/lilypond2.23.4/bin/lilypond -s -

    real    0m0,445s
    user    0m0,401s
    sys    0m0,047s

    - Self-compiled LilyPond with Guile 2: