Re: towards a 'normal' Emmentaler font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: towards a 'normal' Emmentaler font
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:09:13 +0000 (UTC)

>> (2) The same as (1), but make LilyPond undo the font changes
>>     internally, that is, it horizontally translates a glyph's
>>     outline back to the position specified by the Lisp tables (if
>>     the glyph is in the tables).  This ensures both consistency and
>>     backwards compatibility with both LilyPond user code and fonts.
>
> I'm totally unaware of any details here, but why would LilyPond need
> to fake the "old" non-standard glyph properties.  Put differently,
> what is the point (0,0) used for?

For the METAFONT design, (0,0) is the intersection of the horizontal
and vertical symmetry axes in most (if not all) glyphs.  This helps a
lot while designing a glyph.  For non-symmetrical glyphs, (0,0) is the
position where you should put the glyph by default, then applying some
vertical offset to avoid collision with the parent grob.  With the
current design, you simply position, say, a fermata glyph at a given
point, and it gets rendered symmetrically.  This is very convenient
and probably makes the LilyPond code easier to understand.

I will soon send another e-mail to the list with a much better idea to
proceed.

    Werner